Why you need flood insurance

Leave a comment

Flood insurance covers the rising of flood waters from the ground. A flood is defined by FEMA as “A general and temporary condition of partial or complete inundation of two or more acres of normally dry land area or of two or more properties (at least one of which is your property) from:

Overflow of inland or tidal waters,

A mudflow.

Unusual and rapid accumulation or runoff of surface waters from any source, or

[The] collapse or subsidence of land along the shore of a lake or similar body of water as a result of erosion or undermining caused by waves or currents of water exceeding anticipated cyclical levels that result in a flood.”

Flood insurance does not cover broken pipes, or main breaks that may damage your home, unless “there is a general condition of flooding in the area and the flood is the proximate cause of the sewer or drain backup, sump pump discharge or overflow, or seepage of water.” (FEMA) Damage to your home as a result of a flood is not covered by your homeowners insurance.

Read more at CNNMoney

Posted by

Abigail Bassett is a full-time freelance journalist, content creator, and television, video, and podcast host whose work has appeared in publications like TechCrunch, Fast Company, Inc. Magazine, Forbes, Fortune, Motor Trend, Shondaland, Money Magazine, and on CNN. Her passion is telling unique stories that change the way we see, interact with, and relate to the world. She is also a Yoga Alliance Registered 500-hour yoga teacher.

Leave a Reply