CNTRL Media, LLC June 2014-Present
Editor-in-Chief, Freelance Journalist, Content Manager, Writer, and Video Content Creator
Create editorial calendars and content strategies in conjunction with start-ups and major brands. Contribute lifestyle, social justice, green and environmental, finance, luxury, business, health and wellness, and automotive stories and on-camera work for publications like Fast Company, Inc. Magazine, Maxim, Yahoo,, Forbes, Fortune, Money Magazine, Shondaland, CNBC, PBS,, KBB, CNET, Bentley Magazine, and Encyclopedia Britannica. Ptich, report, and write magazine stories, blog content, articles, social media content, and web content for major outlets.
- Pitch, write stories, host conferences, and create video content for Forbes, Inc. Magazine and Fast Company Magazine, as well as other top-tier outlets.
- Create editorial calendars, style templates and guides, and content plans for start-ups and Fortune 500 companies.
- Manage in-office and remote full-time and freelance content creators to create compelling content for those content plans for a variety of brands and media outlets..
- Edit using AP-Style and/or Chicago-Style content for various outlets including Lending Tree and CarFax.
- Ghostwrite content for top-tier CEO’s for Huffington Post, Business.com, and Thrive Global.
- Create and produced video and digital content for start-ups, yoga studios, and major brands, including Castlight Health, Cole Haan, Lenovo, Harmon, HydraFacial, The Hartford, and Mercedes-Benz.
- Wrote content for, and built a Shopify site with blog and editorial calendar for the men’s skincare line Tenzing Skincare.
Edmunds July 2017-August 2018
Senior Director, Video & Social Media
Strategically built, implemented, and grew, a video and social media strategy that worked across Edmunds, multiple social media platforms, and various video platforms. Collaborated across the company with top company leaders to create innovative video, social, and written content for Edmunds with the goal of elevating the brand to a household name in the mind of the consumer.
- Organically grew YouTube channel watch time by 250%, average view duration by 62%, views by 112%, and subscriptions by 250% within the first six months of joining Edmunds by implementing a regularly scheduled, high-quality content cadence, creating new, innovative and creative formats from scratch, and optimizing the look and feel of video and content on Edmunds.com and on YouTube. After 1 year, subscriber rate had grown by 80%.
- Increased Social Media engagement across Facebook (7.4% increase in likes per month), Twitter (5% increase in followers), YouTube (6.6% increase in duration), and Instagram (5% increase in followers) within the first 90 days, through the implementation of a smart growth strategy leveraging existing products and innovating around new ones.
- Managed development pipeline and workflow for video and social media projects and products from initial outreach to greenlight. Sought out, evaluated, and developed original unscripted programming in collaboration with creators, partners, industry contacts, and internal partners to create native advertising opportunities for clients, great content for Edmunds consumers, and innovative video and social content for the Edmunds platforms.
- Worked with research, SEM, and analyst teams on data-centric models for development and better placement for video and social across the Edmunds site.
- Identified talent from wider creator community for development, packaging, content and branded campaigns.
- Managed a $600,000 budget annually, nine full-time staff and numerous freelance staff for video and social channels.
CNN Business Sept. 2007-June 2014
Strategically build, develop, plan programming for, and manage online video content and digital video team for the Fortune/Money Group, including Fortune, Money Magazine, Fortune Small Business and CNNMoney. I manage a team of producers and create shareable, engaging, unique, and informative online content for users across multiple platforms including web, mobile, television, and print.
Major program results:
- Successfully created, built a programming plan for, launched, and currently sustain a self-contained online video channel for CNNMoney that covers everything from lifestyle topics (autos and luxury) to small business and personal finance, that integrates with CNN and Time Warner Corporation.
- Increased online video traffic by 500% in 1 year through program planning, creative storytelling, social, and SEO.
- Created, manage, and produce the most successful video series for CNNMoney: Unique Homes and Wheels together constitute more than half of all video starts on CNNMoney.
- Manage production staff, story development, show development, and budgets for CNNMoney video including a staff of 5-15 producers, both full time and freelance, around the world, to create cohesive digital content for multi-platform distribution.
- Create an editorial calendar and best practices for staff and promote cross-platform branding between online, magazines and CNN network properties.
- Coordinate with business units to create multi-platform, high-value branded digital content for video and written campaigns, including mobile and iPad content.
- Monitor and analyze web traffic using Chartbeat, Newsbeat, Heat Map, and Omniture.
- Strategize and innovate around proprietary content and content management tools, user interface, package presentation (including data visualization, site behavior, infographics, social media, and SEO) and user tools resulting in a more seamless newsroom and compelling user experience.
- Utilize and integrate social media tools (including but not limited to: Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Instagram, Foursquare, and Pinterest), and SEO tools to increase brand awareness and boost traffic to major packages and series.
- Pitch, research, and write original stories and galleries for CNNMoney, Eatocracy, CNN and Money Magazine.
- 2011 EPPY Award Best News Video for America’s Foreclosure Crisis.
- 2011 Henry Luce Award for Best Video for Foreclosure Crisis coverage.
- 2011 SABEW (Society of American Business Editors and Writers) Best in Business, Creative Use. across Platform award winner for Foreclosure Crisis coverage.
- 2011 Webby nomination for Ongoing News Coverage and Mash-up categories.
- 2010 Webby People’s Choice nomination for ongoing news coverage, CNNMoney Reports.
- minOnline’s 2010 Best of the Web award for best magazine-branded show, Assignment Detroit.
- Peabody Award as a part of CNN’s coverage of the 2008 Presidential Election.
- Token of Appreciation awarded from Secretary of Defense Corporate Fellowship Program.
- Selected as an expert to speak about online video to PRSA 2009.
Sept 2006 – Sept 2007
Digital Video Producer
- Conceived, executed, and edited video content for the Web.
- Wrote, shot, and edited original content video packages using Sony EX-1, Final Cut Pro, and Pinnacle Blue, and used proprietary content management systems to post final video packages to CNNMoney.com and the network.
- Produced field shoots and acted as on-camera talent for video packages.
- Conceived, coordinated, field produced, and edited packages for air and online.
CNN Aug. 2004 – Sept. 2006
Editorial, Field, Segment Producer
- Pitched, booked, and managed two weekly and daily popular personal finance shows for CNN and CNNfn.
- Solicited, pre-interviewed, wrote in-depth reports, and coordinated appearances for business leaders, experts, celebrities, and government officials for both Open House and In the Money.
- Pitched, coordinated, wrote scripts for, and edited field pieces for each show.
- Line produced and wrote online content for daily personal finance hits called Gerri’s 5 Tips.
- Emmy Award as a part of the coverage of Hurricane Katrina.
CNN, Lou Dobbs Tonight Aug. 2003 – Aug. 2004
- Responsible for daily guest coordination, interviews, and research for Lou Dobbs Tonight.
- Solicited, interviewed, booked, and wrote report summations for Lou Dobbs on celebrities, government, business, world leaders, experts, and everyday people as guests for live set interviews, field appearances, and articles.
- Investigated, confirmed, fact-checked, wrote, and edited wire copy as well as breaking stories for air.
- Emmy as a part of Lou Dobbs Tonight coverage of illegal immigration
• The Party Planner with David Tutera, Discovery Channel, Associate Producer May – Aug. 2003
• The Barbara Walters Specials, Academy Awards Special 2003, Associate Producer Jan. – April 2003
• The 10 Most Fascinating People of 2002 presented by Barbara Walters, Associate Producer Oct. – Dec.2002
• Love, Hate & Joy (pilot), ABC Family Channel, with Joy Behar, Associate Producer July – Aug. 2002
• The Gangs of New York Additional Photography, Miramax, Production Assistant May – June 2002
• Halloween 8, Reshoot, Miramax, Production Assistant April – May 2002
• The Barbara Walters Specials Academy Awards Special 2002, Associate Producer March – April 2002
• Who Wants to be a Millionaire, Valleycrest Productions, Executive Production Assistant, Jan. – March 2002
• Iyanla, Buena Vista Television, Production Assistant and Intern Coordinator June 2001 – Jan. 2002